Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What is NB511?
A. NB511 is a free bilingual traveller information service, operated by the New Brunswick government, which may be accessed via phone, mobile device or computer. The information covers highway conditions, construction roadwork, weather alerts, flood event and the availability of ferry services. Users within New Brunswick may access the information via phone toll-free by simply calling 5-1-1. Computer and mobile device users may also visit the NB511 web site at Having both phone-in and web site components ensures NB511 is available to the widest range of users. NB511 is part of a North American approach to providing weather and traveller information.
Q. Is this service accessible in every region of New Brunswick?
A. Yes. All you have to do is call 511 for free, instant access or go online at
Q. What kind of information can I get from NB511?
A. NB511, which you can access by telephone, smart phone and on the Web, is an official source of transportation information necessary to plan safe trips across New Brunswick.

NB511 via the telephone will provide such information as:

  • Road conditions along major highways (winter only)
  • Construction activity along major highways; and
  • The availability of ferry services.

NB511 ( online or via smart phones will provide:

  • Road conditions along major highways (winter only);
  • Construction, Bridge, Flooding, Incidents and Activities along major highways displayed on the map graphic
  • Construction, Bridge, Flooding, Incident and Activities on local named roads are described in text format under the “Traffic Advisories/Road Construction Report” link
  • The availability of ferry services.
  • Traffic camera images;
  • Links to partners' websites or information pages;
  • Links to Environment Canada weather;
Q. How can I call NB511 if I am travelling in another province or state?
A. You can dial toll-free 1-800-561-4063 (road conditions) or 1-888-747-7706 (Ferry information) from outside New Brunswick to hear the same information as if you are dialing 511 from within New Brunswick.
Q. If I have an emergency on the highway, can I call NB511 for assistance?
A. Call No. 911 for any emergency.
Q. Where does the information provided on NB511 come from?
A. Informing the public is a priority for the New Brunswick government. Winter road condition reports are provided by NB Department of Transportation and Infrastructure (NBDTI) field staff and/or Private Operators (MRDC, Brunway and Gateway). Similarly construction/maintenance activities that create a whole road closure for ½ hour or longer; restrict a travel lane for more than ½ day; or closed due to flooding, etc. are reported by NBDTI or Private Operator staff.
Q. How often is the information updated on NB511?
A. Information concerning major events in progress on the road network and resulting in significant disruptions is updated every time new developments occur or as soon as the event ends.

Information on winter road conditions are updated a minimum of 2 times daily or whenever significant changes occur. The information provided reflects the current conditions on a given segment.

Information on roadwork is updated as major construction phases begin and when the work is completed.

Q. How much will it cost me to call NB511?
A. If you are in New Brunswick, use of the NB511 service is free.
Q. Why has NB511 changed the road report condition descriptions?
A. Travellers using NB511, will notice some changes in winter road condition descriptions. Canadian road authorities have worked together to develop a new and consistent vocabulary as part of 511 systems being implemented by jurisdictions throughout the country.
Q. Is it permissible to use NB511 while driving?
A. Yes, so long as you are using a hands-free telephone device.

The use of hand-held devices with a telephone function, such as cell phones or smart phones (for example, BlackBerry, iPhone, etc.), is prohibited when driving. Operating an automobile requires your full attention and concentration. Distracted driving legislation is in effect in New Brunswick.

Q. How can I obtain information on the condition of a highway, such as winter road conditions, in neighbouring states or provinces?
A. Links to neighbouring road report information are on the NB511 website. The 511 telephone component also provides road information contact numbers for other areas bordering New Brunswick.
Q. When are Construction Activities posted?
A. Construction and Maintenance activities reported on this site are for locations exhibiting the following restrictions:
  • The whole road is closed for ½ hour or longer; or
  • A travel lane is restricted for a period of more than 4 hours.
Q. Why are there orange cones and purple cones? Why the difference?
A. Orange cones identify when a construction activity or lane restriction is currently in place. A purple cone indicates that a major construction activity or lane restriction is currently not in place but is scheduled to start over the coming days or weeks. Additional information on the upcoming activity is available by clicking the cone. The purple cone will turn to orange on the first day of activity.
Q. What is the meaning of the N/O icon when the radar option is enabled?
A. The N/O icon indicates an outage at a particular radar station provided by Environment Canada.
Q. What are Advisories?
A. Advisories are special bulletins issued to advise of challenging situations that require public attention and appropriate action. Advisories apply to the highways and the adjacent highway network.
Q. What does "Public Travel Not Recommended" Advisory mean?
A. Severe road condition, recommend public to not travel. Maintenance service may be suspended during this advisory.
Q. What does “Emergency & Service Vehicles Only – Closed to Public” Advisory mean?
A. Severe and hazardous conditions, public travel is not permitted. Maintenance services are suspended and/or restricted. Maintenance activity is limited to coordination with emergency response vehicles only.
Q. What does “Impassable/Closed” Advisory mean?
A. A highway and/or adjacent highways have become impassable, including emergency response vehicles due to extensive infrastructure damage and/or severe weather conditions.